tattoos

Friday, January 29, 2010

Unleashing The Designer in Me

When i moved into my newly bought house a couple of years ago, I vowed not to have any old furniture in it. So, most of my stuff in the rented house before is given away to my friends or sold at very cheap price. And since in my new house one of the room is dedicated to become a home office, I need a big desk. A large desk that I can work around it without feeling claustrophobic.

I searched at a lot of stores including Ikea. None suit my taste. I need it to have a large table top, lots of storage, a section just for cables and cords, and also a slide, padded keyboard + mouse tray. Unfortunately no shops could offer me one. So what did I do? I designed it myself!

Easy peasy. I sketch the spec of the table and give to the carpenter to do it for me. It is made of HDFB (high density fibre board) and in glossy white, coz easy to wipe off in case there's some spill on it. It is symmetrical and has very deep drawers and storage spaces. There's a hidden storage for cables at the back side (the one that you can see with the 'hole'), which is inspired by the desk that I saw at Trader's Hotel in KLCC (where I stayed for free during my emcee-ing job previously).

The fun part is the size. About 8 x 3.5 foot, which fill almost 2/3 of the length of the room. But, oh man, this thing is too damn heavy coz it needs about 4 people to carry it! Still, I love it coz I designed it. Cost? RM2000 (around £400). Now I can't blame anyone but me alone should I hate it later (or I can always give it to my brother in case I don't want it, ahaks!).

Wanna copy? Go ahead. As if I care about intellectual property rights ... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

blogger templates | Blogger